Dates: March 19-27, 2024
Prices: US$6,310 pp/double occupancy; US$1,350 single supplement
Discover the vibrant Jewish heritage of Buenos Aires, an enchanting city that welcomes you with open arms. Explore the picturesque Jewish quarter and marvel at its beautifully restored synagogues, kosher restaurants, and bustling markets. Delve into the city's Jewish Museum, home to a fascinating collection of artifacts that chronicle the immigrant experience and the contributions of Jewish communities to Argentine society.
Beyond its Jewish heritage, Buenos Aires offers an abundance of attractions that will captivate any traveler. Stroll through the charming streets of the La Boca neighborhood, where vibrant colors and tango rhythms fill the air. Explore the grand architecture of Recoleta, home to the famous Recoleta Cemetery, the final resting place of prominent figures including Eva Perón. Experience the passion and energy of a live tango performance, where the city's soul comes alive.
Make your Jewish travel experience in Buenos Aires, even more, awe-inspiring by venturing to the breathtaking Iguazu Falls, a natural wonder that will leave you speechless. Iguazu Falls is a majestic display of cascading waterfalls nestled within the lush rainforest. Marvel at the sheer power and beauty of the falls as you explore the network of walkways and lookout points that offer unparalleled views of this UNESCO World Heritage Site. With its unique blend of Jewish heritage, captivating history, and irresistible charm, Buenos Aires beckons Jewish travelers to embark on an extraordinary journey that will leave them with memories to cherish for a lifetime.
For the itinerary and other details, please see the tabs below. On a mobile device, use the menu icon (☰) to open other tabs.
Melton Seminar to Argentina
March 19-27, 2024
(Itinerary subject to change)
- Accommodations: 8 days, 9 nights
- Meals: Daily breakfast, 6 lunches and 3 dinners
- Round-trip flight: Buenos Aires – Iguazu Falls – Buenos Aires
- Educational programming: All entrance fees and programs as per the Melton itinerary
Tuesday – March 19, 2024: Welcome to Buenos Aires
- Check-in to hotel in Recoleta
- Meet in hotel lobby for a welcome lunch and meet the team (1PM)
- Guided tour of Templo Libertad. The first synagogue built in Buenos Aires and a National Historical Monument; it also houses the city’s Jewish Museum.
- Opening dinner at “Al Galope” kosher steakhouse
Overnight: Sofitel Buenos Aires Recoleta, Posadas 1232, C1011 CABA (Tel: +54 11 4819-1100)
Wednesday – March 20, 2024: Buenos Aires, “Paris of the South,” Barrio by Barrio
- La Boca, the old port neighborhood where most immigrants arrived, known for its open arts fair, outdoor tango dancing, and iconic, colorful Caminito Street.
- San Telmo, the best-kept historical neighborhood, and oldest district of Buenos Aires showcases Plaza Dorrego, the local antique market, and a cool bohemian vibe.
- Microcentro, where history and politics live, with its famous Obelisco Monument, Avenida 9 de Julio, Plaza de Marcho, Casa Rosada (Government House), the Metropolitan Cathedral (with Shoah Memorial and San Martin Mausoleum), and Florida Street, a world-famous outdoor pedestrian shopping boulevard.
- Group lunch at a local restaurant
- Private tour of Museo Fortabat exploring Argentina through various artistic lenses.
- Dine at leisure with new friends at local restaurants (suggestions to be provided).
Thursday – March 21, 2024: Exploring Jewish Buenos Aires
- Once District, the main Jewish neighborhood, concentrates several Jewish institutions in Buenos Aires, including the Hebraica JCC, numerous synagogues, Jewish theatres, schools, and shops.
- Paso Synagogue, one of the oldest in Argentina which even has its own Tango orchestra.
- Group lunch at a local restaurant
- AMIA Community Center, the city’s hub of Jewish cultural life and the site of a devastating terror attack in 1994.
- Former Israeli Embassy Memorial, the site of the 1992 bombing which is now a tranquil outdoor space for contemplation.
- Return to the hotel and freshen up for the evening.
- Group Dinner and Tango show!
Friday – March 22, 2024: High Culture of Buenos Aires
- Guided tour of Teatro Colon. Considered one of the best opera houses in the world, it is renowned for its acoustics and architecture.
- Private tour of Museo Evita: The life of Eva Perón through films, photographs & a collection of personal items.
- Lunch at leisure
- Visit the Seminario Rabínico Latinoamericano to see where Latin-American rabbis are educated and ordained.
- Rest and prepare for Shabbat
- Kabbalat Shabbat with Congregation Amijai
- Shabbat dinner with members of the local community
Saturday – March 23, 2024: Shavat V’yinafash
- Optional Shabbat services
- Walking tour of Recoleta, known as Buenos Aires,’ most glamorous and cultured neighborhood with its elegant boutiques, excellent restaurants, the beautiful old Spanish-style church “Nuestra Señora del Pilar”, and its famous Cementerio de la Recoleta, where Eva Perón is buried.
- Private tour of MALBA museum
- Free time to shop and rest
- Havdalah and Megillah reading
Sunday – March 24, 2024: Purim
- Enjoy a kosher BBQ with local women of the Jewish community; prepping our lunch will include a lesson on how the Ashkenazim merged their traditional foods with Argentinian cuisine making local traditional dishes kosher (e.g. The traditional empanada is made with ham amd cheese).
- We will then visit the Seminario and end with a reflection activity.
- Free time for shopping, dinner at leisure, and packing.
Monday – March 25, 2024: Breakfast, check out, and fly north to Foz do Iguaçu
In Iguazu Falls we will embark on a true Argentinian adventure and a time to connect on a different level as a community. This unique and exhilarating experience will combine the beauty of the jungle, rapids, and cascades. In comfortable all-terrain trucks, we will journey through the lush trails, following the Yacaratiá path until we reach Puerto Macuco.
Once there, we will board semi-rigid boats and navigate the lower Iguazú River, gliding through two miles of exciting rapids. As we approach the Devil's Gorge Canyon, we will be surrounded by the breathtaking waterfalls, providing a truly unforgettable experience. Along the circuit, we will witness panoramic views of the falls from six different viewpoints, spanning almost 700 feet. During the tour, we will encounter various stunning falls, including Dos Hermanas, Chico Ramírez, Bossetti, Adán & Eve, Bernabé, Méndez, and finally, the majestic Biguá fall. The journey culminates at the bottom of the Lower Circuit, where we will explore the catwalks before heading back to the hotel.
One of the highlights of the adventure is the awe-inspiring Devil's Throat. This magnificent waterfall stretches an impressive 500 feet wide and plunges more than 2,300 feet deep. To reach this natural wonder, we will enjoy a scenic ride on the Ecological Train, followed by a pleasant 20-minute trail walk.
This unforgettable experience will immerse you in the beauty and power of the Iguazú Falls that together make up the largest waterfall system in the world.
Overnight: Loi Suites Iguazu, Selva Iryapú s/n, N3370, Puerto Iguazú, Misiones (Tel: +54 3757 49-8300)
Tuesday – March 26, 2024: A Different Perspective
After crossing the Tancredo Neves Bridge into Brazil, we will enter the National Park, stopping at the beginning of the catwalks to see the first panoramic views of the falls on the Argentinean side. The promenade shows us a complete view of all the falls in all their splendor. Words simply cannot capture the sheer splendor and unparalleled beauty.
Wednesday – March 27, 2024: Return
- Breakfast and transfer to the airport for the flight back to Buenos Aires (domestic airport)
- Upon arrival, transfer for lunch at a local restaurant
- Continue to Ezeiza International Airport for your flight back home!
Depart for USA
The Melton tour to Buenos Aires will be led by Rabbi Hector Epelbaum, who is an experienced Melton teacher, currently serving B'nai Torah Congregation in Boca Raton, and who was born and raised in Buenos Aires.
We are so pleased that you are interested in travelling with Melton! Melton travel is open to adults of all ages. As you may know, Melton provides the educational content for its tours, but is not a travel agency. Gil Travel Agency (“Gil”) is the travel logistics provider for this tour and is responsible for the collection of all deposits and other fees. Because Melton does not collect any travel deposits or fees, it is not responsible for any financial loss associated with a cancellation of this seminar for reasons beyond Melton’s control, including COVID.
We encourage you to read Gil’s Travel Protection Recommendation thoroughly, advising that you purchase comprehensive travel insurance that covers both “cancellation for any reason” and for “COVID-related” reasons. Even where your destination does not presently restrict travel due to COVID, we still recommend you purchase a policy with such coverage.
Thank you for your understanding. We look forward to travelling and learning with you,
The Melton Travel Team
Need to Know
- Group rates are per person based on double occupancy and a minimum of 20 fully paying participants. Should the number of participants drop below the minimum listed above, we may adjust the cost of the trip to reflect the additional expense of operating the program.
- Tour prices are per person in U.S. dollars. All hotel accommodations, motor coach transportation, special dinners, sightseeing, admissions, luggage handling and the services of local guides, drivers, and the tour guide/educator are included.
- A non-refundable deposit of $500 per person is due upon registration. If the seminar is cancelled, the registration fee will be refunded. The final balance will be due by January 19, 2024.
- All cancellations must be submitted in writing. Up to 91 days prior to departure: $500 per person deposit paid at registration is non-refundable; 90-61 prior to departure: 50% of the trip cost is non-refundable; 60 days or less prior to departure – no refunds. There will be no refunds for unused services.
- Hotel Accommodations: The tour price includes all hotel accommodations, in hotel rooms with private bathrooms. Our standard is to provide the best available hotels while considering value. Although the level of the accommodations may differ slightly from hotel to hotel, we are committed to your comfort.
- Meals are included as indicated in the itinerary. Participants can order kosher meals at prices set by our local agents.
- A Melton educator will be with the group throughout the tour.
- All gratuities are included.
- Baggage: The Travel Agent and/or Tour Operator shall not be held responsible for any damage to or loss of luggage/personal items. All damage/loss must be reported at time of incident and documented in writing by local authorities for submission to the insurance company. With regard to airline baggage allowance, different carriers have different regulations for business and coach, please check with your individual carrier with regard to permitted number of pieces, weights and dimensions. The tour operator is not responsible for fees levied by any air carrier for the transport of personal belongings of any kind.
- Porterage at hotels. Please note that room service is not included.
- International flights and personal insurance
- Personal expenses, including meals or drinks not mentioned in the itinerary, unless specified
We will be pleased to assist you in any and all flight arrangements, including additional travel plans, through our partners at Gil Travel. Please contact Julian Banegas (
Melton Travel recommends Forbes Advisor for the most up-to-date travel insurance comparisons. Consider travel protection for:
- Trip Cancellation
- Trip Interruption
- Emergency Medical Expenses
- Emergency Evacuation/Repatriation of Remains
- Trip Delay
- Baggage & Personal Effects
- Baggage Delay
Please Note: To be eligible for the waiver of pre-existing medical condition exclusion, the protection plan must be purchased within 21 days from the time you make your initial trip deposit, the entire non-refundable amount of the trip must be insured, and you must be medically able to travel at the time the premium is paid. However, the travel protection plan itself can be purchased any time prior to departure.
- Airline Security Measures: Your name must match the name on your tour reservation and airline ticket, or you may be denied boarding. If you are traveling from an airport outside the jurisdiction of the U.S., you will need to determine what travel documentation and identification are required for that particular airport.
- Due to heightened security regulations, certain items such as a metal nail file, pocketknife, cigarette lighter or tweezers, and some liquid, gel, or aerosol items may not be permitted in your carry-on luggage. Please call your airline prior to departure to obtain current information on non-permissible carry-on items and recommended airport check-in times. You may also wish to visit the Transportation Security Administration website at www.tsa.gov to obtain more information on acceptable identity documentation and prohibited luggage items.
- Holidays and Museum Closures - Museum visits and personal shopping time may be disrupted due to unforeseen circumstances or state and local holidays observed in the destinations being visited.
- Photography During Tours: We will occasionally use photographs taken by fellow guests or your trip director for promotional purposes. If you prefer your photo not used in any marketing activities, please notify us at the start of your tour.
For more information about this tour, please email
T: 1–646–921–0747, Ext. 4